When I completed the Bombard and carriage in the previous post I was keen to create some interchangeable loads for the cart so that I could create an extended artillery and/or baggage train, here's the initial results.
By way of reminder here's the first cart creation carrying a heavy bombard, you can read more about this project here.
I then turned my attention to the original load which comes with the set;
I really enjoyed painting this, the load of a tent and associated equipment was painted in a variety of drab colours contrasted by the scarlet clothing of the camp follower. I really enjoyed painting this, it was a bit of a challenge to select the colours as well as to paint a fairer complexion on the woman's face but I'm very much pleased with the result.
Here's a more detailed shot;
I then returned my attention to creating a load of artillery equipment;
This turned out to be quite a challenge, largely because the glue I was using just wouldn't create a decent bond on anything other than my hands but some rudimentary clamps worked in the end.
I borrowed heavily from this scene depicting part of Maximilian's artillery train;
As I was keen to have this as a load that could be removed I cut a piece of plasticard slightly narrower than the base of the cart then glued the various bits onto it. I began with the large wicker basket of cannon balls in the centre using offcuts from the Perry / Renedra fencing with cannon balls made by rolling coriander seeds in green stuff to ensure consistency in size. Either side of that I then added a barrel and then placed a variety of artillery equipment - a bucket, some sacks, a mallet and a chest around the load - most of these came from the Zvezda Bombard set which I used as a basis for the bombard conversion.
At that point I felt something was missing so I added an archer hitching a ride on the back. I converted this by sawing the torso from one of my Tudor dollies then sculpting the lower waist and skirt with legs from the Perry Ansar set added. I really enjoyed creating this chap and will no doubt do it again, I've made quite a few conversions using these dollies which I'll reveal over the coming weeks.
Here's a few more shots;
It was really tricky getting the proportions right for this position but the seated woman in the original set proved to be a useful guide. I really liked the way shoes came out on this one too. It's a small addition but adding this figure really gives a Tudor feel to the piece.
A final bit of Tudorising was to emblazon the crowned portcullis on the red chest.
Here's the cart with the present 3 interchangeable loads;
I really need to make at least another large cart now.
Still in the mood for another cart I then turned my attention to a smaller piece, again using the original and an alternative load;
The carter was converted with a head swap using a cut down Ansar head and the addition of a cap.
Alternative load; some arrow chests (thanks Simon) and a couple of barrels
That's all for now, I've got a few projects on the go so not sure when the next update will be, I'm also off to France for a holiday - hoping to take pit stops in Bolougne and Morlaix for their Tudor history connections.
Bye for now